Brandon's (mostly) Poker Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Grinding...

Now I can remember why I switched to sngs. Grinding at 5/10 isn't very fun, but I'm gonna stick to it. I've been around even for the last week or so, just hanging in there. After yesterday and today, I'm up a whopping total of $33.08 for the week!!! (I count Monday as the first day of the week and Sunday the last in my stats by the way, not Sun - Sat). This is actually not bad considering that yesterday I started off down about $300 right off the bat in like an hour 2-tabling, and later on I grinded back to about even. And today was a worse start.... down over $400 in about an hour 2-tabling. I've successfully grinded that back up to +$67.25 thanks to a $10 8-person home game tourney at our house tonight that I won which paid $60.

On the bright side though, I'm getting rakeback. I don't know why it took me this long to sign up for rakeback with 1 of the sites that its offered for. I absolutely love it. Just from yesterday and today I've earned at least $80 just in rakeback, which I'm hoping will get to around $250 for the week before its over with. The competition at Battlefield Poker (a Prima skin where I get rakeback) seems to be more tough than say Pac or Party, but I am getting used to the software and beginning to hang better with some of the really good players on there. I've also noticed alot of the same players around there and am picking up on who is good and whos not so great, which is definitely helpful.

Since I'm bored now I'll share a couple crazy hands that happened to me this week.......



5/10 Pacific Poker

I'm 2nd to act with AA. UTG limps, I raise, button calls, bb calls and the limper calls. So we see the flop 4-handed.

Flop: Q J J

Not the prettiest flop for my aces, but oh well. UTG checks, and of course I bet. Button folds, bb raises and UTG cold calls. Now here I'm thinking the bb probably has the Q or something like K10, its the cold call I'm worried about. I had noticed earlier that this player was pretty tight, so automatically I assume he has the jack, but I call.

Turn: 4

The board is rainbow, no flush possible. Now the bb checks, and the UTG checks behind him. This doesn't make much sense to me because I was almost certain the UTG had the jack. Is he slow-playing in that spot?? Not very smart if he is, so I check and hope for a miracle........

River: A!!!!

Its my miracle river..... or is it? BB checks, UTG bets... I immediately raise and hope for a cap out because I know he's got the jack. I'm already looking at the pot size and getting ready for my stack to shoot up another $150.... he 3bets, I cap, he calls with.... JJ.... That sucks.





Home Game tourney

It was 3-handed. Justin=button, Sky=sb, Me=bb. Justin folds, Sky calls the bb (blinds were 4/8), and I look down at 2 black queens. I make a pretty standard HU raise of 12 chips expecting him to call, and he does....

Flop: Q 4 9 all hearts

I was almost certain I had the best hand on the flop, so I bet 16 chips hoping for a call and no heart on the turn. He calls the 16 chips... Now I'm ready to move allin for my remaining 50 or so chips on the turn if theres no heart and he checks to me.

Turn: 5 h

Ewwwww... Now Sky would have definitely called my 16 chips with any high heart, because he's a pretty loose player and of course almost anyone would have to call with the ace on that flop, if not push. I was prepared to fold to a big bet in this spot... I wasn't going to risk my whole stack praying for the board to pair, thats for sure. I was over 90% sure he had a heart. He checked to me. Now I still think he has a high heart, probably the ace. I knew he was trying to get me to follow my flop bet... I checked behind him hoping for a 4 5 9 or the other Q. 10 outs is alot and he just let me see the river for free. And I'm pretty confident that if the board pairs I'm doubling up, just because I thought he had that ace.

River: 4!!!!

He immediately bets 20 chips... Of course I push in the 20 plus my remaining 30 hoping I was right. He says "call" before I can even get my chips in the middle. He says he has the ace and I flip up the ladies........ was great the way that hand played out. Turns out he had Ah6h and had the nuts on the flop... oops. It's just like that hand from the WSOP last year... Andy Black with QQ against Joe Hachem's Ac6c on a queen high flop of all clubs.... but this time they "passed the suga" the other way, mate .

Well anyway I'm kinda rambling so I'll call it a night. I'll get back to the grind tomorrow and see if I can't be down less than $200 after my first hour. It's never fun to start off in the hole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home